Full Proposals, requested by the Foundation during the current grant cycle, are due no later that March 15, 2022.
Request Summaries for the Kettering Family Philanthropies' next grant cycle will be accepted from July 1, 2022 through August 1, 2022.
Arts, Culture and Humanities
Health and Medical
The Kettering Fund was founded July 1, 1958 by Charles F. Kettering, renowned inventor, businessman and philanthropist. The mission of The Kettering Fund is to support scientific, medical, social and educational studies and research carried on within the State of Ohio. The Fund’s Distribution Committees meet biannually (May and November) to determine funding recommendations to the trustees of The Kettering Family Foundation.
Please visit the Application Process page for more information.
To read a biography of Charles F. Kettering, click here.
To read the Kettering Digest, click here
Grant Guidelines The Kettering Fund will consider activities in the following categories:
- Arts, Culture and Humanities
- Human Services
- Public/Society Benefit
Organizations that are not units of government or affiliated with a religious organization must have a current 501(c)(3) determination letter from the IRS. Fiscal sponsorships will be accepted, but only under special circumstances. We strongly recommended that you contact the Foundation’s office to discuss your proposed program before you start the application process. Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. A Request Summary will not be accepted for any of the following purposes.
- Religious organizations for religious purposes
- Individual public elementary or secondary schools or public school districts
- Multi-year grants
- Grants or loans to individuals
- Tickets, advertising or sponsorships of fundraising events
- Efforts to carry on propaganda or otherwise attempt to influence legislation
- Activities of 509(a)(3) Type III Supporting Organization
The Application Process: KFP uses a two-step application review process that operates on a biannual cycle, January – May and July – November. The appropriate KFP Committee (Committee) first reviews a Request Summary. If interested, the Committee will invite the applicant to submit a Full Proposal.
- Only one Request Summary per calendar year may be submitted to any one of the Kettering Family Philanthropies.
- Previously supported organizations are eligible to submit a Request Summary for the same or different purpose, if the previous grant has been fully expended, and all required reports have been submitted and accepted by KFP.
- If you are a first-time applicant, or have not applied since January 1, 2010, follow the link to Create account or login with username & password in the upper right-hand corner of any KFP web page. Your User Name must be your organization’s Employer Identification Number, also known as the Federal Tax Identification Number (without the hyphen). The e-mail address that you enter into the Account information will be the address to which all communications will be sent from KFP.
- This Account will be your organization’s permanent record with KFP. You will receive an e-mail from KFP confirming your Account information. Save this information for future access to your Account.
- If you have applied to KFP since January 1, 2010, log in to the Account previously established for your organization. To insure that your contact e-mail address is up to date, click on Edit Profile tab in the upper right hand corner of the page. You can also change your password, if you so desire.
- If you know that your organization has an Account, but you cannot access it, or you are not sure if you have an Account, use the Create account or login with username & password link.
- After you have accessed or established your Account, click on the Create a Request Summary in the first section of the page. (For best results we recommend that you use one of the following browsers: Firefox 4.0, Safari 5.0+, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer 8.0).
- If you have not composed or updated the information about your organization, you will be required to do so prior to beginning a Request Summary. To update this information, at your dashboard, click on the organization name in blue type. To edit the information, click on the word View on the left side of your screen and change to Edit mode.
- Submit the Request Summary by the due date, either January 31 or July 31. If these dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the information is due the next business day. You will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your submission. You will be advised by e-mail of the outcome of the Committee’s review in approximately three weeks.
- If you have received an e-mail inviting you to submit a Full Proposal, access your Account to complete the process. Full Proposals are due March 15 or September 15. If these dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the information is due the next business day. You will receive an e-mail confirming receipt of your submission. You will be contacted if additional information is needed. A site visit may be requested.
- Notice of approval or denial will be communicated to you within 10 days of the Committee’s meeting. If you are awarded a grant, the chief executive officer of your organization will be required to sign a Grant Recipient Agreement that outlines the duties and responsibilities of being a grant recipient. Generally grants are paid within 45 days of the Committee’s meeting.
- Faxed, mailed or hand-delivered Request Summaries and Full Proposals will not be accepted, unless KFP has agreed to an exception.
- In summary, all communications from KFP will be sent to the e-mail address listed in your Account information. You can expect e-mails informing you that:
- Your Account has been established
- Your Request Summary has been received
- Your Request Summary has been denied or you have been invited to submit a Full Proposal
- Your Full Proposal has been received
- Your Full Proposal has been denied
- A grant has been awarded
- To ensure that our e-mails are not deleted or moved to your Spam or Junk Mail folder, add our e-mail address, email@example.com, to your safe sender list. If you are not receiving our communications, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please read these Helpful Hints before you begin to fill out the application form.
The Kettering Fund, a sub-fund of The Kettering Family Foundation, supported a variety of organizations for charitable activities in 2021.
Grants Paid by Category: 2021
Arts/Culture/Humanities $ 1,005,000
Education $ 1,141,500
Environment $ 400,000
Health/Medical $ 800,000
Human Services $ 726,700
Public/Society Benefit $ 38,500
TOTAL $ 4,111,700
Grants Paid by Category: 2019 – 2021
Arts/Culture/Humanities $ 3,211,000 (28%)
Education $ 2,676,500 (24%)
Environment $ 1,070,000 ( 9%)
Health/Medical $ 2,360,000 (21%)
Human Services $ 1,748,802 (16%)
Public /Society Benefit $ 185,500 ( 2%)
$ 11,251,802 (100%)